18 Feb 2016

RSGB Band Plans

I have a love/hate relationship with my national society. In many ways they do a very good job. At the same time they seem to have a "thing" about AM.

Yet again, there is ZERO acknowledgement of 10m AM except a (begrudged?) comment that 29-29.1MHz is in the 6kHz wide all mode section. No explicit mention that this is where AM can be found. Indeed a year ago an RSGB official told me he had no idea about 10m AM!! AM has been just above 29MHz for as long as I can remember: got it RSGB?

The 2m AM centre of activity of 144.55MHz gets again a (begrudged?) footnote, whereas other modes get explicit mention.

No, the RSGB  hates AM. This is my conclusion. This is a stupid stance. There is plenty of space for AM on 10m and the VHF bands. AM gear is low cost too.

I love digital modes but AM has a place.

1 comment:

G1KQH said...

CBers can use 27MHz AM in the UK, now legally!

Doesn't it make you sick their band is only 1MHz away from out 10m band.

73 Steve