12 Feb 2016

Reverted to W5OLF 10m WSPR beacon

At 0950z I reverted to my 500mW 10m WSPR beacon by W5OLF. This is 100% 10m TX at 500mW but with randomised frequencies changed every 2 minutes. This does not need a PC and is entirely self-contained and tiny. With 6dB less power I wonder what difference it makes to spots? It will take about 20 minutes for things to settle.

Possibly, I may go on 6m WSPR later as I cannot go on another HF band as I need the antenna for the 10m beacon.

UPDATE 1344z:  Several spots of my 500mW 10m beacon by EA8/DL9XJ (2981km) today as well as spots by GM4WJA (624km). I wonder if my 500mW 10m WSPR beacon will be spotted in the USA later?

UPDATE 1440z:  Several spots received from Brazil this afternoon on 10m with the 500mW WSPR beacon. 6dB lower? - you'd never know! Perhaps I'd get more spots at 2W, but I'm getting plenty at 500mW from a tiny box not much bigger than a pack of cards. Fabulous fun for almost nothing.

3 comments:

John - GW3OIN said...

Hello Roger.
You ask what difference 6dB makes to WSPR spots?
Interestingly that is, more or less , the loss of performance you experience on 40m with your Par multi-band antenna, as against a mono-band EFHW. Despite that I have noted with interest the wonderful results you achieve on 40m, in particular the spots with VK land.
As a separate issue. I would be most interested to know Roger if you have found any difference ,whatsoever, between the performance of your old FT817 and the newer ND ?
Kind regards.
John - GW3OIN.

Roger G3XBM said...

Hi John, both FT817s seem to be pretty similar. I think the ND has a more robust PA but I tend to run less than full power always. Touch wood, both have proved reliable. On 40m, no-one is more impressed than me. If you saw the antenna you would have a right laugh!

John -GW3OIN said...

Thanks Roger.
I asked because I am very tempted to buy a second FT817 while the going is good. My other dates back to when they were introduced.
There is an interesting item in this months RADCOM which is about aerials similar to your Par end-fed.
JOHN - GW3OIN.