4 Dec 2015

472kHz WSPR - same stations

It is sad that no new stations are being spotted on 472kHz WSPR.  Almost without exception, I am spotting the very same stations I have spotted night after night. We urgently need a few new stations on the band.  For several nights I have been among a very small number of UK stations transmitting. There are a few more on RX only, but this an interesting band and the low take-up puzzles me. It is not as if high power or large antennas are needed for WSPR.  Please, consider 472kHz.

UPDATE 1952z:  G3KEV (232km) has spotted me for the first time this evening. I know he has big antennas and a quiet noise environment. With my signal being very weak, this was necessary for him to copy me at all. I am grateful. As yet, I have still to copy him.

UPDATE  2220z:  Tonight DG3LV (707km) has become the most distant station to spot me on 472kHz WSPR this autumn.

2 comments:

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Have you considered an electrostatically shielded ferrite antenna for 472kHz reception ?
That could probably provide you with a better S/N ratio if placed in the most quiet place of your house/garden.
Vy 73 de Jan

Roger G3XBM said...

Jan, for some reason I have no issues with noise at 472kHz even with the RX preamp at maximum sensitivity. I think my earth-electrode "antenna" acts as a loop at MF and LF.