2 Apr 2015

Sunspots and 10m - Thursday April 2nd 2015

Sunspot number is 69 today (K=3 so a bit more disturbed than yesterday) and 10m propagation yet again "fair".

So far today just local G4IKZ (18km) and EA8BVP (2986km) spotting me and not a single spot of my 500mW WSPR beacon on 10m from the USA. If there is to be a marginal opening later, I would expect this around teatime here i.e. soon.
 
I have been getting reports from G4IKZ that my WSPR  dT (timing) is way out (3 seconds). I seem to have no issue getting lots of spots usually, but I wonder what errors in dT others might be seeing? My usual set-up is a stand-alone 10m 500mW WSPR-AXE-CW beacon which I manually reset to internet time after breakfast every day. I do this spot on an even minute but I could adjust this (earlier or later) if this resulted in a better dT error. Please let me know if you also see large errors as reported by G4KIZ.  On 472kHz I use a PC/FT817/transverter. The PC is reset to internet time every 5 minutes using atomic.exe software.

UPDATE 1940z: Well, at the moment it looks like there will be no 10m WSPR spots of me from the USA today.  It is still possible that the could be a very short opening, but this is now improbable.

UPDATE 2055z:   No USA stations spotting me at all. A dire day on 10m WSPR. These were the unique stations in the last 24 hours.  The USA stations shown here were yesterday.

2 comments:

Alan G8LCO said...

might be active over the long weekend, more activity on Topband and more DX. There might be a bit more wire in the air now that the wind has passed.

Did you see AP1RIL on MF WSPR? Telegraph (nearly radio / early pre=cursor) had a bit about wraping Longleat visitor's cars in bubblewrap to protect cars from monkeys .

Perhaps we can have bubblewrap suits to protect against Ofcom?

Roger G3XBM said...

No Alan, I missed that April 1st joke.