10 Dec 2014

WSPRnet anomalies?

There are a couple of things I do not like about WSPRnet:
  1. It does not show stations active who have not been very recently spotted (i.e. stations who have not been seen for 10 minutes). This means it does not show stations who are actually active, but unsuccessful  e.g. me on 6m, who has been sending and looking most of the day (and on 6m on several days in the last few months), but without success.
  2. It does not, as far as I can see, allow you to check your logs more than 2 weeks ago, so it is not possible, as far as I can see, to check "all time" records for my call on a given band.  There may be a way using Excel, but it is not easy and I have not found out how to do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger
WSPR.net has downloadable monthly files going back to the start. 1-20M of data per month! So the whole zipped base would fit onto a stick or a small part of a hard drive or DVD. If you only store your own callsign TX & RX files then that would make the files very much smaller.
A little while ago I downloaded some files then put them into Libre Office- which is a very good COMPLETE office suite for free- it was then dead easy to select the records that interested me.
It is interesting to note that the dbase has a band entry as well as a "quality of spot" entry which gets set if there is doubt over the validity of the entry. Seems to me that transmitting a single extra band character could greatly reduce bad spots as a difference between the actual band Rx'ed and the declaired band could bin the report and immediatly indicate to the user that something was wrong- a bit better than the mess we have sometimes.

Alan G8LCO

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Alan. I may have to experiment. On my shack PC I have an older version of MS Excel and on another PC I have Open Office.