3 Jan 2013

First CW QSO on 472kHz

Although my local noise level is a little lower on 472kHz than on 500kHz it is still not low, so working stations with the current TX antenna (using it on RX and TX) is not the best of set-ups. Nonetheless, this evening I had my first 2-way QSO (on any band) of 2013 and this was on 472.5kHz CW with G3XIZ in Biggleswade. We exchanged 579 reports, although I was rather generous with my report really because of the local SMPSU noise. Also heard was G3YXM who was rather weaker than Chris.

I am now continuing with WSPR beaconing and will run the beacon (TX and RX) through the night for the first time on the new MF band. So far my best DX report is from Germany, but I would dearly love to be copied, if just once, by TF3HZ in Iceland. Haldor is monitoring and it is just about at (or just beyond) the limit of range with my 10-20mW ERP.  With QRP I have learned that nothing seems to be impossible with a bit of perseverance and good luck.

No comments: