16 Jul 2024

QMX+ oddity

 After about 4 hours with no spots of me on TX, I noticed the QMX+ display had an "s" after the VFO A frequency and no power, suggesting the TX had detected a high SWR and inhibited TX. A little while before I had been successfully TXing on both 10m and 6m FT8 and I knew the SWR was good. I feared the PAs had been blown, but could not understand how this could be with a good SWR and several diodes in the supply line.

In desperation, I thought I should turn off the QMX+ and turn it on again. At first the QMX+ sound cards were not recognised. I unplugged the USB cable, waited a decent while (20secs?) and reconnected it. Power was immediately visible and on 6m FT8 I was spotted all over Europe. It was NOT the PAs (thankfully) so must have been the firmware.  I think there is another possible bug.

UPDATE 1930z:  49 spots of my QRP FT8 this evening on 6m with the QMX+. It is a good rig, but there are still (I think) a few teething problems.

No comments: