17 Sept 2022

Still no luck here with the EI1KNH 8m beacon

Although Keith in Lincoln has been successful, I have still not decoded the beacon. We are at similar distances from the beacon, I think. It would seem my low horizontal dipole is not as effective as Keith's long wire. I note that the beacon has a vertical dipole whereas mine is horizontal. With scatter and MS this probably does not matter, but with WSPR and tropo it could make all the difference. I shall keep trying!! 

I must check the screen during a WSPR slot to see if it is there at all. It sends WSPR every 20 minutes.  If I can detect it at all, I might briefly try my other antennas just in case these are better in that direction and with  vertical polarisation.

Otherwise, it is MSK144 in a meteor shower.

UPDATE 0936z:  In the last WSPR slots absolutely nothing on the screen with the 8m dipole or 10m end fed antennas. 

UPDATE 1410z: In view of Paul's (G9PUV) comments that he has never spotted WSPR from this beacon, I have switched back to 8m FT8 RX. You never know! It will be monitored all weekend.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hi Roger, I've been getting a few (3 or 4 a day) FT8 decodes from KNH on my Turnstile that's about 7M AGL but what I did notice earlier was the VFO tuned to 40.012.2 shows the decodes around 27Hz, I'm amazed my sound card could hear it! So, as a test I've retuned the VFO to 40.011.2 to see if that has a bearing on the amount of decodes I get from the beacon.

FWIW I've yet to decode any WSPR from it and the radio runs 24/7.

Paul
G7PUV
G9PUV