1 Sept 2022

4m

At one point I was going to take down my 8m wire dipole over the winter and put up a 4m dipole in its place. I gather 4m activity is quite low outside of the Es season, so I may not bother. I suppose I could give the UKAC activity sessions a go.

Yesterday, I spotted 2 stations on an unresonant 8m wire dipole antenna, so I know the RX in the transverter works. It seems pointless erecting an antenna just for the 4m UKAC sessions.

UPDATE 0752z:  It occurs to me that I can test my 4m transverter TX by adding a 10dB attenuator in line with my 8m antenna. I have yet to calculate how much the SWR will be improved, but it will be a lot. Even with 10dB attenuation I am sure I can be picked up 3km away! Once this is done (assuming the TX is working!) I can decide what to do about a 4m antenna. Maybe I should erect a 4m halo below the V2000? For this, I would need help as it involves ladder work. Luckily it is above the flat garage roof, so very little ladder work would be needed. I must look for a source of 4m halos. At one time Moonraker sold them.

UPDATE 0808z:  Several sources of 4m halos. The going price seems to be a bit under £45.

UPDATE 1658z: 5 stations spotted today on 4m FT8 with the low wire dipole cut for 8m (totally unsuitable) with the furthermost being GM4CXM (507km). Amazing.

UPDATE 2000z: 15 stations in 5 countries spotted on 4m FT8 RX with the furthermost OK2BRD (1338km). And this with a totally unsuitable, non-resonant antenna cut for 8m!

No comments: