30 Aug 2022

4m transverter


Some years ago I needed a way of getting on 4m. This transverter was the result. I have no idea where it is now! Possibly it is in a shack drawer or in the loft. I really ought to try and find it and give it another go, perhaps with a wire dipole. Several have been made since it appeared in GQRP SPRAT. It is also in my G3XBM Project Scrapbook and on my website.

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/vhfuhfmicrowaves/homebrew/4m-transverter

According to the webpage I listened for a local station's personal QRP 4m beacon. I cannot recall using the transverter. Maybe it was with something else.

UPDATE 1345z: I have found the transverter! It was in the shack at the back of a drawer.  Assuming it still works, I must try it out. First I have to erect an antenna for 4m.

UPDATE 1409z:  In preparation for trying the band again, I started looking for information. At one time, the place to go was the 4m website, but I get the impression this is no longer well maintained. Instead I turned to the RSGB's 4m page.

UPDATE 1428z:   I have connected the transverter to the FT817ND and the 10m antenna. At the moment I am on 70.100 MHz USB dial FT8 RX. I hope the crystal is still on frequency. I must check this. Noise goes up when the antenna is connected - a hopeful sign. Nothing copied.

UPDATE 1504z: I am puzzled what is the best frequency to try for 4m FT8 RX. Some say 70.100 MHz whereas some say 70.154 MHz. Which has the best chance of spotting anyone please? The 42 MHz crystal is oscillating and on 42.000 MHz . Currently I am monitoring 70.154 MHz USB dial.

No comments: