31 Aug 2022

4m FT8 and activity

Andrew G6ALB is remaking his 4m personal beacon at the weekend so that I can retest the RX in my transverter. The transverter has not been used for years.

I was hoping for suggestions about where to put my RX for the best chances on FT8 RX. Some say 70.100 whereas others suggest 70.154 MHz USB dial. At the moment I have no 4m antenna so cannot TX.

As the chances of Es are much diminished I guess most propagation will be inter-G. I have no idea what activity levels on 4m are like. If like other VHF bands, I guess my best chance will be the next UKAC activity session in 3 weeks' time.

So, where is the best place to watch for 4m FT8 activity in the UK please?

UPDATE 1018z: I have divided my time between the 2 frequencies I know about, but nothing yet spotted on 4m FT8 RX. I am still waiting for FT8 frequency information. Help!!

UPDATE 1107z: I have been told most 4m FT8 in the whole of Europe including the UK is on 70.154 MHz USB dial, so that is where I shall monitor. Still no spots.

UPDATE 1342z: It works!! G3SHK (200km) and G0DJA (151km) spotted on 4m FT8 RX using the low 8m wire dipole.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Strange no one answered your question yet. Probabely your blog is really ghetting inpopulair :-(

70.154 is the main FT8 frequency. 70.174 is main MSK144 freq. It is unlikely you will hear much activity now on 4m since ES season has ended.

I would like to point you to my blog to read about my results this season on 4m and 6m DX.

https://pe4bas.blogspot.com/2022/08/6m-2022-es-season-review.html

73, Bas

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Bas. 2 stations now spotted on 70.154 FT8 RX. You did really well on 6m this summer.