5 May 2022

IC-705 and FT8?

The ICOM IC-705 is a great 10W radio with many wonderful features. I love the waterfall and many of the things it has as standard.

It is regularly used on 2m and 70cm (FM and USB, but I have not used it on FT8. Instead, I have used my FT817ND on 8m and other bands for FT8. Why? With the USB lead (even choked) I get desensitisation. I believe the simple solution is to use the IC-705 with wi-fi (yes it has this too!), but I have been too lazy to set this up yet. I am sure there are YouTube videos showing how to set this up! One of my projects in the coming weeks must be to set this up.

If you can point me in the right direction this might save me time. What is the simplest and clearest please?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

I went through the same issues you are experiencing and did have a look about how to get around it.

Some people were buying ICOM RS-BA1 software at £80 if you can find it being sold separately or you buy RC-28 which comes with software for £282 which I thought was too much for either option.#

https://qrznow.com/fully-wireless-icom-ic-705-to-computer-connection-for-digital-modes-wsjt-x-js8call-winlink/

Doing abit more research it really down to the quailty of cable. So in the end I bought a cable from a company called BD7 Maple. They make accessories for the 705 and they sell a really good quailty cable and it cost approx £9 and took a week to turn up from China. It did the trick and cured the noise issues and for added extra measure as the lead was quite long I added FT-240-43 with as many turns I could get around it.

Think ML&s sell the lead

Hope this helps

Jason
M0NYW

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Jason is right. You need the RS-BA1 software to set the radio up with WiFi. I think indeed another cable should do the trick. I work with a IC-7300 and only 1 USB cable to the computer. So far it works well. But I heard (and experienced) from others there can be RF issues. You might have to ad some material #31 ferrite to the cable. 73, Bas