20 Sept 2021

Brain overload, stroke and autism - NOT amateur radio

As many of you will know, I had a stroke in 2013, out of the blue. It put me in hospital for 3.5 months. I had never before stayed in hospital!  All strokes are different, and overall I was lucky with all my main functions remaining intact. My fine motor skills are poor.  Although you may disagree (!), my intellectual functions seem unchanged.

I am currently reading a book by Oliver Sacks that has got me thinking. Now, this may just be me getting older, but I am aware of some changes. Since my stroke, I always felt giddy and have had a very poor voice, although most of me works. My wife and I have enjoyed some good holidays both here and abroad. Apart from the giddiness, walking is OK.

In the last year, I have been aware of brain overload. When driving I seem to think of everything that can be a hazard. Driving is no longer a pleasure. Generally, things seem to be exaggerated. It strikes me that this is similar to how some autistic people must experience the world - basically my brain feels overloaded.

It leaves me wondering - are some strokes and some forms of autism similar? I'd be interested to hear of any research in this area.

1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Not that I've done research Roger but my uncle has experienced a similair thing. He had a stroke and almost lost his ability to speak. After a while he can now speak but lost some words that others use in daily communication. But his intellect seems not to be affected just like you. He is a chessplayer and still continues playing chess and he does well. 73, Bas