15 Jun 2021

6m FT8 RX (Tuesday)

It is now 0759z. A few minutes ago I turned on 6m FT8 RX using the FT817ND and the V2000 vertical omni. So far just G4IFX calling CQ DX, no doubt hoping for the Far East. 

Just now I realised I was looking at the 12 hour view on PSKreporter maps. I am now looking just at today. So far just 2 Gs spotted (0807z).

UPDATE 1112z: 18 stations spotted. No Es evident here.

UPDATE 1237z: 26 stations spotted including the furthermost HI3T (7001km) in the Caribbean. With no Es evident here, I am more convinced than ever that some of these long distance paths are not Es, but some other E layer propagation. I am sure with a better antenna, higher up, I would copy far more, especially as the V2000 being faulty.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I don't know if your V2000 is still having a problem? What you receive on 6m is so different from what I see. I know location is an issue on 6m. I've had my V2000 (actually W2000 Watson clone) up for 6m a few years ago. I know use a different antenna. Propagation is a little low today. However I managed to receive JH4IFF this morning when he tried for OJ0C. 73, Bas

Roger G3XBM said...

I think my V2000 is still quite a few dB down on better antennas like a small beam, especially if elevated. I am sure that 6dB (at least) will make all the difference on FT8. My V2000 still has a very poor SWR, which can't help either! I think the antenna is faulty - someone is taking it away this afternoon to see if he can see the problem.