3 Apr 2021

What CAN I still do?

Since my 2013 stroke I have been giddy all my waking time, had a very poor voice and get exhausted very quickly. 

All the time I am conscious of all the things I used to be able to do without effort that I can no longer do. Some of these things may still be as a result of my stroke, whereas others may just be because I am getting older.

Maybe I need to change the way I think and focus on all the things I can do rather than the things I cannot.

For example:

  • I still manage 2 weekly 2m FM nets.
  • I still manage the 2m and 70cm UKAC activity contests each month.
  • FT8 and WSPR operation is fine.
  • Cutting the grass is still possible.
  • Getting breakfast ready is still possible.
  • Gardening for short periods is still possible.
  • Washing the dishes is still possible.
  • Ironing is still possible.
  • etc...
Quite a few things are still possible. Getting older, I should expect to find some things harder, so maybe I should accept these and alter my focus. I need to look harder at the things I can do! Making this mental leap is not easy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Roger,
You forgot to say that you can still write everyday a very pleasant blog. To read your blog daily is some minutes of peace.
Thanks for that.
Alain F4IET

Roger G3XBM said...

Alain - thank you.

Anonymous said...

Well done Roger.

Despite your frustrations, I suspect that you achieve more than you realise. I've spent a long time trying to figure out what my capabilities and limitations are. Not a stroke in my case, although at the time I did wonder.


Fatigue was a big issue. I could push myself but I would pay for it for days after. Was I simply less efficient by then or just obsessed with work?

Right now, I am getting a little more organised and am thinking about what can I do and about getting back in to work, whether part time or otherwise.

One thing I did was to buy a second hand FT-817 but I have yet to programme it or build antennas for it. I took it on a walk for Rx only. That was fun and informative.


Thanks and all the best.

Mike