15 Nov 2020

6m FT8 QRP Sunday

Certainly we seem to have little or no Es on 6m at the moment. Most of the morning, I have been on 6m FT8 QRP with 2.5W and the V2000 vertical. So far (it is now 1133z), I have been spotted by G0PQO (50km) and I have spotted G4FKA (207km).

UPDATE 1206z:  Nothing further. I shall stick with 6m FT8 most of the afternoon "just in case".

UPDATE 1500z:  Now 2 stations have spotted me and I have spotted 2 on RX. The latest is G3XDV (45km). Hardly great DX! Unless things change, I suspect today will pass with the band acting very much as a VHF band. I am sure with a big horizontal beam, more power and greater height, 6m could be a useful band inter-G in the quieter times. Imagine what 10-20dB could do on marginal paths. With my V2000 vertical, 2.5W and cheap CB coax I think many would say I am "playing". I get the impression that 2m is better for "scatter". Probably the cross sectional area in terms of wavelengths is smaller on 6m.  Some debate what type of scatter I experience on 2m FT8. Some think it is aircraft, but I have my doubts. Certainly some paths are aided by aircraft scatter, but to me it seems too random.

No comments: