25 May 2020

What is DX?

Just now, a relatively local M0NKR was calling CQ DX on 6m FT8. He was very strong here even though we are probably crossed polarised. I have no idea what power he runs or what antenna and tower he has. He must always spot and work far more than me! Good luck to him. I hope he works plenty of DX.

For me with my 10W and V2000 omni antenna I can never hope to work the stations he does. At 1250z he was trying to work a ZF that I cannot even see!

DX is relative and hopefully we can all enjoy the hobby in the ways that give us fun.

1 comment:

Todd Dugdale said...

"hopefully we can all enjoy the hobby in the ways that give us fun"

Right. But I still recall what a well-respected Elder told me: "We're all trying to enjoy ham radio. But some of us do it in stupider ways than others. And that's not their fault".

Sadly, this rank condescension is what the "open-minded" hams have settled on. If you do something different than them, it's because you are a bit dim. But they won't hold your inferior level of intelligence against you, because they are Good Guys.

Still, I suppose this is an improvement over the previous mindset.