16 Mar 2020

20m FT8 with the tiny (45cm diameter) indoor loop

After sorting out the WSJT-X issue, 35 stations have spotted me so far. Best DX was a spot by N4DJT (4213 miles). 312 stations spotted on 20m FT8 RX.

UPDATE 1424z: 451 stations have now spotted my 10W with UA9MA (4630km) being the furthermost to the east. On 20m FT8 RX 420 stations spotted so far.

Stations spotting my 10W FT8
to the tiny loop on 20m today
UPDATE 1904z: Now 103 stations in 4 continents have spotted my 10W today. See map to see who spotted me. On 20m FT8 RX 701 stations have been spotted on FT8 today.

1 comment:

W5OLF said...

I think this is amazing! It makes you wonder about the theory of mag loops that it all depends on wire/loop diameter and getting connection and conductor losses down compared to radiation resistance. I wonder sometimes about this particular loop having an unbalanced ground that 'could' bring to resonance the rig/computer and wiring ground. I guess to verify that this is not the case, an experiment attaching a ground wire that is laid out in the room to rig ground should be performed. If you have to re-tune the loop to bring it back to a low SWR after doing this then it is possibly due to this loops unbalanced ground. If not, there is something missing in our understanding of small loops and conductor losses. I actually hope it is the later. Jay, W5OLF