4 Nov 2019

Windows or Chromebook?

Our lounge PC is an HP Pavilion running Windows 10. We have had it for several years now (I cannot yet find out when we got it - does anyone know how to interrogate the PC to tell me?) and it is mainly used for web surfing and local picture storage (these are backed up). I am seriously tempted by a Chromebook as I think this would serve this purpose fine. I'd need to add a big memory micro SD card for local picture storage.

I do not run any amateur radio stuff on this PC. I know the Chromebook would not run Windows programs; there may be a way, but I have not looked i.e. a bit like Wine on Linux OS. The advantages of the Chromebooks would be fast boot-up, few viruses (if any), much less bloatware and low cost.

Anyone got any views they'd care to share?

UPDATE 1220z: The BIOS of the Pavilion is late 2016.

3 comments:

G1KQH said...

I think Linux is they way to go..

73 Steve..

John, EI7GL said...

Hi Roger

I actually bought a Chromebook just last weekend. It was a budget entry level model and it's great as a second computer for casual browsing. Depending on cost, their advantage is that the screen can be a lot bigger than say a tablet or smartphone and they are fast for browsing sites like YouTube, Facebook, gmail, etc. They also have a proper keyboard as opposed to a touch screen version.

If you want to replace your main PC then I'd suspect that you should probably get another PC. If you want a second computer for casual use then a Chromebook might be a good choice.

John, EI7GL

Anonymous said...

Chrome OS is only Linux kernel based, not a real Linux.

It's just as junky as Windows in many respects and full of security holes.

Install a real Linux instead.

Most ham apps are now native linux too.

The world has moved on thankfully.