27 Oct 2019

FT817ND issue?

This evening I intended to go on 472kHz WSPR RX and TX, but I noticed the antenna current was zero. On closer examination, I noticed that the "split" function on the FT817ND had disappeared. With my brain fog as a result of my 2013 stroke I attempted to reset the "split" memory function.

I struggled for 30 minutes without success. I am sure I was doing things correctly. Even the micro-processor was reset, following the instructions in the manual. Again, no success.

Maybe leaving it until the morning, just in case I am doing something wrong might help. I am just a bit suspicious that the "split" function just disappeared.

Unless I can get "split" working again I can only RX on 472kHz WSPR. Tonight I am not on any band.

4 comments:

Keith said...

Hope you get it sorted! I’ve had problems with my 817 in the past, specifically with it insisting on putting the North American 5MHz splits into memory for 70cm repeater frequencies.

I’ll be monitoring 472kHz WSPR overnight, but conditions don’t seem too good so far.

Regards,
Keith G0RQQ

Ken May said...

Hi Roger, are you using WSJT-X to CAT control your radio? There is an option in that prog to set the radio 'split' parameter or not. Maybe that is overriding what you do on the actual radio?

73 Ken G4APB

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks for the suggestion Ken. I shall try without the PC connected and see if it does "split". I do hope it is this as this would be fixable.

Roger G3XBM said...

I tried it Ken, but sadly no luck. Still no split working on the FT817ND. Looks like I shall have to forgo 472kHz WSPR TX unless I can find a fix.