26 Jun 2019

Japan worked on 6m

Yesterday, I gather Japanese stations were being worked on 6m from the UK. I presume this was FT8 although I am not sure. I spotted nothing on my modest set-up!

These openings seem to happen every year at this time. I am sure big antennas must help.  It is 2 years now since I last spotted Japanese stations on 6m. That was JT65. In the last 2 years I have concentrated on FT8.

There seems to be a correlation between these openings and noctilucent clouds in the mesosphere.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/vuhf/noctilucent

1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Roger, is case you missed it last weekend:

https://pe4bas.blogspot.com/2019/06/summer-solstice-nlc-and-japan-on-6m.html

And yes, a good directional antenne will help. Although receiving Japan with a vertical is possible. And the year you received Japan I remember my signal was received in Korea with just my vertical W2000. It's unfortunate FT8 is less sensitive as JT65 and JT9. But FT8 is faster and that's something... 73, Bas