30 May 2018

Building kit

Only this lunchtime my XYL asked when I was going to build something in my shack. Since my 2013 stroke, I managed to build a Chinese Pixie kit (worked first time) and repair my 472kHz transverter (changed the MOSFET), although things are much harder for me these days.

Actually, I think I need to try to build more: it is good therapy and probably will help me. I have to come to terms with how I am now, but still battle to make the best of things.

I fancy trying a mcHF or uBITX kit, but will this be beyond me now?

Any suggestions for what I should try?

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/stroke

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger,

I was thinking of a similar thing the other day. I really enjoy building kits but there are not many of decent quality, and fewer yet that I am interested in. However, there is one kit that comes to mind that I would recommend.

I'm not sure if you have built the Rockmite kit already, but it's a fun build and compared to the pixie(I've built both) I think it's a much better receiver. I purchased mine from Dave Benson(K1SWL) before he handed it off to qrpme, but it looks like there have been some nice improvements on it. It was great fun to build, package, and operate. Also, I don't think it has any smd parts now so that should make it a little easier.

http://www.qrpme.com/?p=product&id=RM4

Mike said...

Roger

How about the µBITX from India. A general coverage, 10 watts HF SSB/CW transceiver kit. It works from 3 MHz to 30 MHz, with up to 10 watts on SSB and CW, with a very sensitive receiver. It features digital tuning, dual VFOs, RIT, CW Keyer and more, A local has built one and it works well. Mostly pre-built. $129 USD.

Mike G8ALS

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I WILL build either a uBITX or mcHF before the year is out!

Anonymous said...

I agree. Both kits are worthwhile. Meanwhile the mainstream brands don't make anything I particularly want. I have the bitx40 to wire up for 40m but also fancy the ubitx and the mcHF.
The Indian ladies do a really neat job of winding the torroids, so you don't have to. The soldering is excellent. No AGC but a number of simple DIY AGC circuits are available. The mcHF full kit option with ready populated boards seems a sensible option. Watching the video on assembling it in the kit case, batteries would have to be external.