15 May 2018

6m FT8 RX again

As this is the Es season, I am sticking with 6m FT8 again today. The number of stations on FT8 is staggering.  Very early on I went on TX (2.5W) calling CQ. I was spotted by a couple of Gs. Since before breakfast I have been RX only.

Although Europe and North Africa on 6m Es are "easy", I am keeping a watchful eye for more distant E layer DX on 6m. With FT8 I am sure it is just a matter of time before the USA, Caribbean and South America are spotted on 6m FT8 even with my basic V2000 vertical antenna.

For Es, I find polarisation is unimportant. All my 6m JT65 "real" DX (well outside Europe) last spring/summer was using the V2000 omni antenna. With FT8 this year I expect results at least as good. With 15 second overs, even the briefest of openings should be copied.

So far, just 10 UK stations spotted on 6m FT8 with the best DX GS3PYE/P (576km) on Islay, Scotland.

UPDATE 0925z: More stations being spotted now. Currently 14 uniques in 3 countries with best DX CT1EKD (1644km).

UPDATE 1247z: Now 58 unique stations in 10 countries spotted on 6m FT8 today, so far. Best DX is currently IW8PQU (1940km).

No comments: