21 Mar 2018

Hidden disabilities - NOT amateur radio

Like many, since my stroke in 2013 I have had a hidden disability. Many say, "you do look well" or similar. Indeed to most people I look just fine.

What few realise is that for over 4 years I have felt unbelievably giddy when on my feet. Looking up is dreadful for me. It is like being permanently drunk. Just walking along a pavement (sidewalk) can be troublesome. Crossing a roads is a nightmare. Rushing along is now very hard. Add to that my voice is now very poor. Just chatting is now much harder to the point that I rarely start a chat because others will probably not understand. I'll have to repeat myself, which is exhausting.

Others too may have impairments that are hidden, making people think there is nothing wrong. To coin a well known expression, "never judge a book by its cover". Other people may well be fighting a battle inside that we cannot see or experience. Never, ever, under-estimate the struggles others may have to deal with.

One thing I have learnt is never judge others. Inside they may be having a very rough time, be it physical or mental.

No comments: