22 Mar 2018

Bank incompetence - NOT amateur radio

My father-in-law would have turned in his grave.

Yesterday, because a bank letter was unclear, I needed to contact my bank. 33 minutes later and 3 people later, I got my answer. 2 of these people were overseas. Not one knew who I was. A clearer letter would have made this call totally unnecessary.  Could they write this basic data in the letter? No -  idiots.

This week, also, we went into a different bank to close 2 accounts that managed to lose money! Then they wrote a letter to say they could not verify the bank details into which funds should be paid. Thankfully, they enclosed a first class stamped envelope. Whilst in the branch all details could have been verified. Again, idiots.

Why would my father-in-law turn in his grave? Because, years ago, banks were personal, you could ring your local branch and bank officials were respected. Now you are just a number in a call centre overseas. I suspect most bank staff have, maybe, a training in domestic studies or football. Most appear to know nothing about banking. Most seem stupid and incompetent.

Maybe I am just a grumpy old man, but is it really too much to ask for a decent, competent and personal service? Every bank, it seems, makes billions in profits. Maybe they should try harder at making customers feeling more valued. They could start with their staff.

2 comments:

DaveL said...

Roger,
I was in my bank, and had a question or something, they said to me, "here, call this 800 number," and I said, "Why? I am in my bank, talking to a (what I assumed was a BANKER) why on earth would I call some call center in another city, when I AM STANDING IN YOUR BANK????"
Needless to say, I shortly close my account and found a much more reasonable banking institution.

DaveL
KF7JAF

Username said...

I've moved to First Direct because, although it is mostly via Telephone, the customer service is excellent.