20 Feb 2018

FT818 (the real one)

Some weeks ago we heard that the FT817 was to be replaced by the FT818 and that the new model had been tested by the FCC in the USA. Since then, I have heard nothing. I was hoping for some leaks about what it will be, but nothing so far. From the FCC report it looked nothing special, although I hope I am wrong.

As I have said many times, this product should have been brought to the market years ago on the way up to the last sunspot maximum. In my view not launching it then was a marketing disaster.  If I was a Yaesu director heads would have rolled. Is their marketing department filled with kids or others who really don't know the market? No, this was total incompetence of the highest order. And that is said as a loyal Yaesu purchaser since the 1970s. I have owned the FT7, FT77, FT747 and many other Yeasu products over the years.

A lot hangs on the success of this.  They now face serious competition from SDR products, plus they will have a harder job selling it on the way to the quietest solar conditions for years. It will have to have some truly knock-out features. If I was ICOM I think seriously about launching the QRP version of the IC7300 outside of Japan. This could make a serious dent in the market of the FT818. It could even kill Yaesu for good.

Would I buy one? If you'd asked me in 2012 the answer would probably have been "yes". In 2019? Probably not, unless it really is a killer product. I suspect a lot of people are of the same mind.

I fear for the future of Yaesu. For years it was a leader, whereas now it just follows. It almost seems they have lost their way.  So, Yaesu may well be struggling. I cannot see the FT818 as the ubiquitous piece of kit the FT817 was, and still is.  If I am wrong, so be it. For the sake of Yaesu I hope I am very wrong.

If you know any more details about the real FT818, please let me know.

No comments: