23 Aug 2017

Grumpy old man syndrome - NOT amateur radio

As I get older I seem to be less tolerant of stupid "jobs worth" people. I have several examples.
  • The driver of a Cambridge Park and Ride bus who refused to take a £5 note which was legal tender, saying the note was no longer valid - he was wrong.
  • A friend was refused service in a supermarket because his £20 note had a very small tear.
  • British Gas, who rang me to set up an appointment for smart meters, yet no-one turned up.
  • The bank cashier who could not read what was clearly stated on the cheque about which account the money should be paid in to.
  • Having to wait ages to have an order taken in a restaurant, then waiting ages to get served. You had the feeling you were an inconvenience. In the USA I have always felt valued.
etc..

In my work days, such incompetence would have led to instant dismissal. Maybe I am getting grumpier, but surely it is not too much to expect decent service. All I am asking for is for people to treat their customers properly, not with total incompetence. These days, we seem to hit a wall of stupid people who are totally incompetent and unable to think. Surely, if people cannot do a job they should go and make way for people who can?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't consider myself an old man yet(not quite 40), but in the US I am encountering the same thing on a daily basis. In general I think it is just the continued decline of manners and morality with each new generation. My kids are learning 'please','thank you','yes/no sir/ma'am' along with a host of others that seem to have disappeared.

In some areas/companies you can see a return to customer service, but those are very rare(but greatly appreciated). Most are looking to hire the cheapest people they can and do nothing to train or watch over them to make sure they are doing good for the company. Also, most consumers have resigned themselves to just put up with it because it's cheaper or there are no other alternatives. Big businesses have formed monopolies in many areas so they don't have to worry about this sort of thing, thanks Walmart(and the Walmartians that shop there).

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Interesting post. I deal with all kind of customers every day. I do my best to help them as good as I can. But don't forget that the average customer does think to be the only customer (left) and does not understand other people wait for service as well. Besides that it seems to be normal these days to do the same work or even more with half the amount of people that used to do the work just to "save" money. No wonder customers feel inconvinient. However I share your opinion about stupid people, not everyone that has a job is competent for that job. 73, Bas

Anonymous said...

All examples of the "Smart Phone, dumb user, and online manners" that is becoming far too prevalent.

You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Then again, you can catch even more flies with a fresh pile of manure but no matter how much icing sugar you sprinkle on that pile you it still isn't a doughnut.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc