11 Apr 2015

6m "surprise" and 10m "no-show surprise"

First nice surprise was to be spotted on 6m WSPR by G3ZJO (79km) for what is the first time I think. He gave new -24dB S/N a few minutes ago.

Eddie has copied me on 472kHz and 500kHz. I think Eddie must have been working on his TX and RX set-up on several bands as he seems better with me on 472kHz and he is able to copy me on 472kHz despite my very low ERP. I am not sure what he is using on 6m but very pleased to be spotted by him on a new band.

UPDATE 1724z:   G3ZJO has spotted me 4 times so far on 6m but, at the moment, not a single spot received on 10m. The total absence of spots on 10m is the first time in years I have known the band so quiet.  Sadly, I suspect that outside of the Es season this could become the norm, especially if people leave the band for "richer waters" lower down the spectrum.  Today there are only about a third of 10m WSPR users compared with a few months ago.

UPDATE 1805z:  The latest spot from G3ZJO was -21dB S/N suggesting my signal is getting stronger with Eddie.

UPDATE 1924z:  Still no spots at all on 10m WSPR, so I suspect there will be none today at all.  On 6m, no further spots given or received since the 4 spots of my 1W ERP (vertical) by G3ZJO much earlier. Either Eddie has gone QRT on the 6m band or propagation has changed. I suspect the former.
6m spots by G3ZJO today

No comments: