17 Sept 2014

Antennas

I was going to take down my V2000 and replace with a 10m halo to give me better performance on 10m than the tri-band end-fed Par wire to the tree (tree is visible but Par wire is not visible in picture).
However, I would lose 6m, 2m and 70cm vertical coverage and the Par seems to be doing a credible job on 10m, 20m and even on 40m. It is very low for 40m. On 10m it seems to be a few dB down on better antennas, but I can live with this. The V2000 works pretty well on 6, 2 and 70cms.

So, for the foreseeable future, I'll stick with the current antennas. Getting up ladders to work on antennas is currently out of the question (health issues) but lots of kind people would help, I know. 

Although not the world's best, I can cover 40, 20, 10, 6, 2 and 70cms pretty well with the current antennas in the air. Using strapped feeders and an ATU, other MF and HF bands can be covered too. I can also work MF with the earth-electrode system in the ground.

Rotating by hand the 2m/70cm antenna for UKAC sessions is not a problem, judging by results.

No comments: