4 Sept 2011

Boy's Book of Crystal Sets

One of my favourite books when I first got interested in radio back in the 1960s was the Babani series book number 126 entitled The Boy's Book of Crystal Sets. The link takes you to a PDF copy of this book. I was fascinated by the shortwave version shown in the book and remember building a variety of it using parts I had. It was such fun copying distant DX stations with something so simple. Years later I managed to copy Radio Havana, All India Radio and even (directly from Australia) Radio Australia on a simple crystal set. All good simple fun showing the magic of radio. There are several websites on the internet today dealing with the design of sophisticated crystal sets capable of quite exceptional preformance.

1 comment:

Dominic Rivron said...

Ditto.

Another of my childhood favourites was Fun With Short Wave Radio by Gilbert Davey.

http://dominicrivron.blogspot.com/2009/03/fun-with-short-wave-radio.html