11 Oct 2012

Earth-mode 8.97kHz VLF tests

Today I did the first tests using my new 5W 8.97kHz beacon looking for signals at my usual "close" test site 1.6km from the home QTH. Good copy on QRSS3 and even solid copy on 10wpm CW. Copy was using my 30t 80cm loop on RX although results were similar using a 5m spaced earth electrode pair. Tests at greater range over the weekend. This is a recording of the 10wpm 8.97kHz CW signal at 1.6km .
QRSS3 signal at 1.6km using a 30t 80cm loop on RX
10wpm signal at 1.6km using a 30t 80cm loop on RX
As the traces show, there are a lot of strong interfering signals around in this part of the spectrum. With an E-field probe there were lots of telemetry like signals audible which I think are being carried over the national grid overhead cables. These were about 0.5km away from the test site.

No comments: