27 Mar 2023

8m QRP FT8 (Monday)

 After being off for about 10 days playing with other things, I am back on 40.680 MHz QRP FT8 again at 1430z. No spots. It will get much easier for QRP stations when the Es season gets going.

Today has been disappointing on 8m. It looks like conditions have to be very good for my QRP FT8 to get through.  I would probably do better on 8m WSPR, but I think there are fewer monitors? I expect many are also fighting high local noise levels that make decoding weak signals hard.

UPDATE 1550z:  No spots. Are there many monitoring 8m WSPR?

UPDATE 1610z:  Trying 8m QRP WSPR near 40.680 MHz in the WSPR window. TXing 30 %.

UPDATE 1651z:   No WSPR spots so back on QRP FT8.

UPDATE 1743z:  No spots, so QRT on 8m soon. I think QRP 8m stations are unlikely to get too far now until the Es season.

2 comments:

HC02 said...

I do monitor wspr at the same time as FT8, find the problem generally with wspr is that if the start of the signal is poor or missed it won't decode even if the next 1 min 30 seconds plus of the 2 minute cycle are ok,it can tolerate dropouts after the initial sync/lock beginning part.
73's
Hugh
HC02

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Hugh. I think I shall stick to 8m FT8, although I doubt I shall be on 8m much now until the Es season really kicks in.