1 Aug 2022

Forgotten!

Since I released my free G3XBM Project Scrapbook, I have already thought of some things that I have left out! 

In the early 1970s, when still living in Cambridge, I made a 2m AM rig based on the Pye PF2AMB. It had a RX that I could tune and, I think, 6 crystal controlled TX frequencies. It was in an aluminium box covered in wood effect Fablon.  In the photo taken in the 1970s (when I had hair) it is the rig with the black and white meter to the right of the EC10 receiver,  I used to have a weekly sked on CW with G5UM in Leicester. Jack used to write the VHF column in RadCom. He was a really nice man.  The rig produced 500mW on AM.  It was also used once in the PW QRP contest, with some amazing results. 

I also made a 100mW AM transmitter with very pre-emphasised speech and heavy clipping. This was extremely punchy and effective.

In the photo, the rig on the bottom right was a 10m 1W CW TX. It was my first experience of HF, with a loft dipole. Later, I made a 10m PA to increase the power. I think this was to 25W. It was far too much for me!

At the time, my 2m antenna was a hand rotated, 2 element, HB9CV in the loft, that I could turn from the operating position.

Sadly, I no longer have schematics for these rigs, but I shall add reference to these in the next edition, by which time I might remember more, HI.

No comments: