26 May 2022

Oscar 100 activity

As you know I take a regular peek at activity on the narrow-band transponder of this geosynchronous satellite. Today's peek was at 0610am central European time. 30 minutes later there was nobody active at all

Now, this seems to show that outside Europe, e.g. India and the Gulf states there is very little interest. OK, it is a work day and very early in Europe.

My over-riding impression is that activity levels are very low. In some ways I am surprised, but in other ways I am not. 

Our hobby has largely evolved into "appliance operators" who buy an HF rig, and maybe a linear, tower and HF beam. There are far fewer real experimenters. With no real "black boxes" available there is a certain threshold to have success with Oscar 100.  For most, this threshold is just too hard. Based on recent evidence, I cannot see geosynchronous amateur satellites having a bright future.

See https://eshail.batc.org.uk/nb/ .

No comments: