31 May 2022

8m experiment (Tuesday)

Later, I hope to again be on 40.680 MHz USB dial FT8 TX.  I usually transmit in the first period with signals about 1.95 kHz HF. It would be good to have some QRM, HI!!

It seems I need Es or aircraft scatter to have QSOs beyond the local area. When the band is open via Es, I get widely copied despite my QRP. This a bit limiting! 

UPDATE 0936z:   My FT8 TX was turned on at about 0928z. No spots yet on RX or TX.

UPDATE 1200:  At the moment I am letting the rig cool, so I am disconnected. On the transmission earlier, nothing spotted on RX or TX.

UPDATE 1447z:  After another day so far without spots on RX or TX, I am seriously considering going QRT on 8m and perhaps concentrating on 6m FT8 or 10m FT8. I have already found out my limitations and doubt much more can be learnt unless I increase my ERP, which is not my aim. 

UPDATE 1546z:   Now QRT on 8m and QSYed to 10m FT8 QRP.

UPDATE 1900z: Since about 1855z, I have been on 40.680 MHz USB dial FT8 TX. I shall probably stop in about an hour.

2 comments:

ken g4apb said...

Trying 10watts wspr on 40.680mhz today.
73 Ken g4apb

ken g4apb said...

All day transmitting wspr @ 10 watts to dipole has still got me no spots despite me chasing frequencies others are known to be listening on. I am quite surprised as 10m and 6m are working well with me. I may try pulling down my mast holding up my 7mhz dipole and try to construct a vertical on 40mhz to get some more height.
73 Ken g4apb