24 Apr 2022

Lightning risks

The chances (in the UK) of being hit by a direct lightning strike are (thankfully) low, but not nil. Many years ago a work colleague in a very ordinary house was struck and he had a lot of damage.

More common issues are power surges of the mains supply when lightning and thunder are nearby.

Perhaps I am paranoid, but if there is a threat of lightning nearby I unplug PSUs from their sockets and disconnect all antennas. If a power surge is around my gear is not going to experience it!

Unless you have a very good grounding systems, it is very unlikely your gear will survive a direct hit.

Now, I am no expert on lightning protection, so please make your own judgements on this by reading expert opinion. DO NOT rely on me!!

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/other-amateur-radio/lightning-maps .

No comments: