19 Apr 2022

8m tests (Tuesday)

My gear was turned on at 0530z. At the moment I am on 8m FT8 TX at 1W. Being on lower power which seems fine for Es, I hope to be on TX longer. My frequency is still 40.680 MHz USB dial. 

UPDATE 0805z:  For the first hour I was on 1W FT8 TX on 40.680 MHz USB dial. Sadly nobody spotted me. The power still dropped over time. At the moment I am RX only, but intend to be on full power FT8 TX later.

UPDATE 1337z:  Now on full power (for me - whatever the FT817ND manages on 8m!!)  FT8 TX on 40.680 MHz USB dial. 

UPDATE 1505z:  Only one local spot of me today by G0LRD (26km). Disappointing so far.

UPDATE 2000z: RX only now.  After my success being copied by EI9KP (649km) on 8m FT8 with just QRP and a low wire dipole yesterday, today was disappointing with just one local spot.  As EI9KP copied me strongly, I am pretty sure reports will be exchanged with Borat soon. It is unlikely I shall get outside Europe with my low power and antenna (just a low wire dipole), but I am getting excited about getting 8m FT8 reports via Es soon. I may use WSPR on occasions. Unless told otherwise, I propose to use 40.680 MHz USB dial for FT8 and WSPR and will use the FIRST period to TX on FT8. I know exchanging reports with G3XBM on 8m is not like working ZS stations, but each one will give me great pleasure.  FT8 exchanges are totally within my licence terms as long as you can TX legally on 8m.  There is nothing at all stopping SWLs without 8m TX permits spotting me.  After all, we are exchanging reports and locations, which is all I need to know.  My "experiment" is seeing how well QRP and simple low wire dipoles work at 8m. 

In case of ANY doubts I give my express permission for ANYONE to give me reports by any means e.g. PSKreporter, WSPRnet or email.

No comments: