29 Aug 2021

8m permit next year?

As Keith reports, modified FT817NDs may TX on 40MHz (8m). If mine does, it means I may be able to TX WSPR or FT8 on 8m, albeit with external filters.

I may try asking OFCOM for a permit for the next Es season and see what happens. They can only say no. 

Maybe I should ask for a band and 10W?  Personally I would be happy with a spot frequency, limited time and 5W on an NoV. We shall see. It would pay me to apply in good time. Of course, if there was any "harmful interference" issues, I could be closed down.

I am sure just a few watts of FT8 or WSPR would be audible across Europe given decent Es.

Personally, I think several people should apply. The more stations active, in more countries, the better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

I've noticed that the transverter-store in Ukraine now extended their range of transverters with includes 8M and 5M.

Save's you moddifing your FT-817 and making a LPF

https://transverters-store.com/40mhz_assembled_with_att.htm

Jason
M0NYW

Keith said...

I’d be willing to give that a try too! Even a simple dipole should work if conditions are good.

I think someone did ask Ofcom about a permit but the answer was “Not for more of the same” - I.e. not if it’s just an extension to 10m or 6m - it would have to be supported by a good technical reason.

Regards,
Keith

Roger G3XBM said...

I am sure I can make PLENTY of very good arguments! If they reject it (they should not if they are interested in radio science) it will not be for technical reasons!!

Keith said...

Then perhaps a combined effort to present good, logical reasons for a small allocation - even a spot frequency - would be the best approach, rather than simply asking for an allocation purely because other countries have one.

Keith said...

I found the comment about Ofcom and “more of the same” as a reason for rejecting 40MHz - it’s on EI7GL’s site for 22 Nov 2020. However, that was for a general allocation; maybe an application for a specific experiment - even time-limited - may get a more sympathetic response.