18 Aug 2020

QSY to 2m FT8

As 10m seemed dead here today, I have QSYed to 2m FT8. Almost immediately my 10W to the big-wheel omni antenna was spotted by 11 stations including GI6ATZ (479km) in Northern Ireland and DF6PW (562km) in Germany. It never fails!

UPDATE 1858z:  42 stations in 10 countries have spotted me today so far on 2m with 10W and the big-wheel omni antenna. As this sort of DX seems to be available at any time, I do not think all of these are aircraft scatter or tropo. Some may be, but not all I think. Personally, I suspect some other sort of scatter that weak signals such as FT8 signals can access.

Stations spotting me
on 2m FT8 TX (10W) today
UPDATE 2039z:  47 spots of my 10W to the big-wheel omni antenna today. Even with my low power and simple antenna, it appears that these sort of ranges are possible on 2m FT8 at any time. On SSB with the same power and antenna, I am pleased to work stations 200km away!

No comments: