20 Jun 2020

6m FT8

At 0850z ish, the 6m FT8 was turned on. As usual, I am running 10W to the V2000 vertical omni. So far, I have been spotted by 43 stations, mostly in Europe.

EUPDATE 1500z: See Fred's comment below! The advice in the June RadCom is to CQ in the second period, which is what I have been doing. I am totally confused! 121 spots of my 10W 6m FT8.

UPDATE 1620z: Confusion over thanks to Fred G4BWP.  On 6m, the convention is Europeans call CQ in the first period. In future 6m FT8 operation I shall try to remember and observe this convention.

UPDATE 2030z:  QRT. 163 6m FT8 spots of my 10W in the last day.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Another polite request to PLEASE transmit in the first period

You are causing much QRM to DX stations, not so much the carrier but your signal has a LOT of sideband noise when the carrier is notched out

Many thanks

73 Fred
G4BWP

Roger G3XBM said...

Fred - thank you. Someone else advised me to TX in the second period. I have absolutely no wish to cause QRM to other people.

Roger G3XBM said...

The advice in June RadCom was to call CQ in the second period, so I am totally confused!! When not trying for QSOs I operate high up to minimise possible QRM to others.

Roger G3XBM said...

I have included the advice in June RadCom in the text. As I said, i am totally confused!!

Roger G3XBM said...

For 6m FT8, the convention is that Europeans call CQ in the FIRST period.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

Have a read of the UKSMG FT8 code of practice, which recommends the use of 50.323 for intercontinental DX with EU transmitting in the even periods.
http://www.uksmg.org/ft8-code-of-practice.php

If all EU stations only transmit in even periods on 50.313 then us less well equipped stations don’t get to work anybody!

Keith M0DZB

Unknown said...

Yes first is even

The idea is reduce QRM **WHEN** DX is possible

Plenty of time to work EU

Roger is kind enough to CQ even so we all live happily

73 Fred