5 Jan 2013

Half century reached on 472kHz with 10mW ERP

After less than a week on the 472kHz band, I see that my tiny QRP signal has now been copied by 50 unique reporters in 8 countries so far with the best DX over 1000km.

If anyone thinks they have no chance on this new MF band then please note my antenna has just 6m outside the house which is vertical - the other 6-8m is in the loft against copper pipes and wires. This wire is just the coax to my 10m halo taped to the aluminium pole and my ground just my central heating copper.  ERP is around 10mW from my transverter producing around 10W (i.e. about 30dB antenna efficiency loss because of the short size and compromised feed). The ATU is still just a ferrite rod coil on my desktop! I tune the antenna for maximum current and do not have an SWR meter for this band ( when matched the PA runs cool and the antenna current is highest).

My apologies for the small type size below, but I had to reduce the browser size to get all the reports on a page I could screen capture. Getting a signal out on MF is honestly not difficult at all.
50 unique reports on 472kHz WSPR so far with 10mW ERP
In the next few days I want to try my earth antenna (20m spaced earth electrodes connected by a wire only 1.5m above ground) used on VLF earth-mode TX to see how reports compare. Tests on 500kHz suggested reports were around 8dB down on my loop used at that time, but I have not yet compared results against my compromised 1/100 wavelength high vertical. It will be intriguing to see how I get on.

No comments: