28 Dec 2012

Recording the last hours on 500kHz?

Back in the late 1940s G5UM and others recorded the last few hours of operation on the old 56MHz (5m) band on an old 78rpm disc. Sadly this disc and copies of it appear to be lost forever.

I am very much hoping that a few stations in the UK and Eire will record the last hours on the 500kHz band which is being withdrawn on Dec 31st for ever, to be replaced by 472-479kHz.  Such recordings are a valuable piece of amateur radio history which will be treasured in years to come.  It would be a pleasure to pull such recordings together for posterity, but I shall be unable to listen myself because I'll not have access to the shack at that time.

If YOU can listen between 2300-2400GMT on Dec 31st and make a few recordings of the CW activity, please send me copies and I will produce a CD or MP3 file of them all.

No comments: