20 May 2023

New Yaesu HF QRP Transceiver?

Does anyone have any idea if Yaesu is planning to launch a new HF QRP radio as a proper replacement for the FT817?  The FT818 is a joke.

One has been overdue for many, many years and I fear they have lost their chance. They now have an SDR platform and surely could do this. 

With the right features and form, it could still be a winner. I would certainly consider one. As time progresses, they are facing yet more competition from ICOM, Elecraft and various Chinese offerings.

This is their very last chance!! If one is not forthcoming very soon, I fear it is curtains for Yaesu in the Amateur Radio Service.

UPDATE 1314z:   I think Yaesu has blown it (yet again). Initial reports from Hamvention suggest nothing. If they had anything at all (even a non working mock-up) they would have shown it. I give them 3 years in the Amateur Radio Service market before they are out, possibly less at this rate. I am a great Yaesu fan, but in recent years their marketing has been unbelievably poor. If I was in charge, the entire marketing department for amateur radio would have been sacked as totally incompetent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far Im not seeing anything from the main Youtuber's who are there at HAMVENTION and only them talking about the "leak" of Kenwood's latest handheld D75.

I wouldn't get your hopes up that there will be any replacement as of yet for a new FT817/818 at the moment in my opinion. There is market for "QRP radio" as most UK dealers don't have stock of IC-705's and when stock does come in they get sold quickly!

"If" anything maybe at the Tokyo ham fair sometime in August 2023????

Keith said...

I think Yaesu may focus in the future more on developing product for the Vertex commercial side of their business. With the growing number of Chinese low-cost radios as well as amateur-developed products e.g the (tr)uSDX and the new QMX multi-band multi-mode radio from QRP Labs, I think there is less and less incentive for the current “Big Three” Japanese manufacturers to pump more and more money into developing new radios for a diminishing market.

Regards,
Keith