3 Mar 2023

The rise of FT8

Looking on John's blog I see the recent Bouvet Island DXpedition did not use SSB on some of the major bands, concentrating on FT8 instead. 

No wonder some bands appear quiet. Because of my poor voice, I use FT8 quite a bit. However, in the long run, I can see few coming into the hobby by just chancing upon radio amateurs. FT8 needs special (free) software. If our hobby is to be there in 20 years' time, we need something else to attract and keep people.

In truth, far smaller amateur bands could accommodate us in future. I know to say this is heresy, but is it true? Personally, I would prefer more, smaller, bands throughout the spectrum for the Amateur Radio Service. In 20 years'time I can see many differences coming.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello ROger, I would really like to know how HAMradio will evolve in 20 years. Have you ever considered trying VarAC by the way? 73, Bas

Roger G3XBM said...

No Bas, I have not tried VarAC......yet.