20 Oct 2020

630m WSPR RX

There may be 2 issues with my 472kHz (630m) QRPP setup. 

As mentioned in the last post, I suspect the IRF510 PA device is damaged.  My transverter gives 12W into a 50 ohm load, but the measured ERP is less than 10mW. Despite this, I was able to get to Norway most nights last winter.

There may also be a break in my earth-electrode "antenna". 

As a first step, I am on 472kHz WSPR RX overnight. If this works, it probably means the earth-electrode "antenna" is intact. If this is the case, I may be able get on TX again just by mending the PA device. If this fails, I shall replace both the IRF510 and the wire in the garden.

UPDATE 1830z:  With F and DL already spotted, initial results are encouraging.

UPDATE 2130z:   I think the earth-electrode "antenna" in the ground is fine, judging by results this evening. I shall leave the RX on overnight, although I have spotted far more than I expected.

No comments: