20 Dec 2017

On 630m WSPR again

As 6m MSK144 RX was not producing lots today, I have returned to 630m WSPR (10mW ERP, 20%). Overnight my best DX (on TX) was just OR7T (337km).

I am intrigued to see how I get on with just a ferrite rod antenna only. I may try this this evening if I can match it. The coax up to my 2m big-wheel is very non-resonant! You may remember many years ago I had some success on TX WSPR with a ferrite rod only on 30m and 40m.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/antennas/ferrite_tx .

UPDATE 1536z: My transmission at 1530z was just the ferrite rod antenna as an E-field antenna on the bench. I am now on the ferrite rod as a RX only antenna..

UPDATE 1850z: Well for once I am happy that the test with just a ferrite rod antenna failed. Not a single spot given or received with just the ferrite rod, but spots both given and received as soon as the "big"antenna (relative term!) was reconnected. Now back on 630m WSPR using the ferrite rod as the ATU to load up the coax to my 2m big-wheel, which is far from ideal!

UPDATE 1925z:  My QRPP 630m WSPR signal has already been copied in Norway and Belgium this evening. Are conditions up?

UPDATE 2012z: Already 9 unique stations spotting my 10mW ERP this evening. Best DX spot is by LA3EQ (769km). Conditions seem promising.

No comments: