5 Oct 2017

QSY to MF WSPR RX

At about 2025z I switched to 630m WSPR RX from 10m FT8 RX. The rig and PC will be monitoring through the night once again. If previous nights are typical, I can expect to spot the same stations again! Every morning, I hope to see some new ones, but I am always disappointed.

UPDATE 2105:  No spots yet received on MF. I suspected my rig and PC settings, but all looks fine. By now, I was expecting several Europeans to be coming through. Another check is in order. Or are more giving up on MF WSPR?

UPDATE 2128z: Well, I do not understand it. Turning off the PC's charger resulted in spots, yet I have been getting plenty of spots with this on on previous nights. The noise floor drops about 4 S points with the charger off and the noise floor did seem a bit higher than previous nights. It is almost as if there is a threshold above which decodes do not occur. Puzzling. Anyway, I am monitoring with the PC on its internal battery. This should be OK until breakfast or just before. I have seen one new one this season PA0MLC (394km).

No comments: