3 Nov 2015

Now RX only (with preamp) on 472kHz WSPR

Since about 2008z I have gone on to RX only (with the preamp) on 472kHz WSPR. I have gone QRT on 10m. It will be interesting to compare results with and without the preamp on MF. I suspect I'll copy the same stations but give them better reports. I am still using the earth-electrode "antenna". I'll do the comparisons in the morning. So far tonight, before going RX only, I was getting similar results on TX and RX as the night before. At one point I got really excited as I thought I'd been copied in Greece, then I realised this was on 10m!

UPDATE 2202z:  At the moment I am not spotting any new stations with the higher sensitivity on RX. This could change overnight, or it says that the FT817 has adequate sensitivity and external noise is limiting what I can copy.

UPDATE 2300z:  Based on the reports given to DK7FC and LA3EQ I am surprised that the preamp, although making the sensitivity better, does not allow me to give them definitely better reports. To be honest, I am a little surprised. I will see if I get clearer results overnight. My electrical environment on MF is fairly quiet, so I expected to get a really useful improvement with the preamp.

No comments: