1 May 2015

10m and 6m Es

With the Es season definitely upon us, I am starting to get 10m WSPR spots from nearer Europeans now. For example OE1RWU (1222km) has spotted my 10m 500mW several times this morning.

As yet, I have no Es spots on 6m despite a higher ERP although these will come with time.  Es starts a little later (in the season) on 6m than on 10m and openings tend to be less often. Having said that when 6m is open by Es, signals are often there day after day at good strength.  Last Es season there were fewer stations on 6m than I was expecting, which was a pity. I am hopeful there will be more stations on 6m WSPR this summer. WSPR is a great mode for winkling out short openings, so is an ideal mode to leave running when not active on SSB or CW.

UPDATE 1435z:  Several spots from central Europe on 10m WSPR by Es.

UPDATE 1521z:   Although I see the forecasts are showing 50MHz Es in Europe, there is no evidence of this on WSPR. Only 18 stations in the whole world are shown as active on 6m WSPR, although 10 are in Europe.  Es is sporadic so unless there are stations active in the right places, openings will be missed.

UPDATE 1528z:  On 10m WSPR I see that EA8BVP (2986km) has only just started to spot me. I presume this is F2 and not Es.

UPDATE 2140z:  Still no sign of any USA WSPR spots this evening. I have the feeling there will be none today, but will blog results in the morning.

No comments: