17 Aug 2026

Amazon - like marmite

Amazon home delivery gets a bad press. I have used it trouble-free for 26 years.

Some refuse to use it at all saying it will be the end of conventional shops. Yes, that is true, but people have already changed shopping patterns. Home shopping is now far more common in the last few years.

In my view, there are two sorts of high street shops (1) those that do not adapt and fail, and (2) those that adapt to internet shopping (browsing hubs?) and succeed.

Let me give you an example: at about 2230 last night I ordered 3 charging leads for my iPhone. By about 1500z the very next day they were on my doorstep delivered by Amazon. 

The alternative would have been to take a bus ride into Cambridge and go to the Apple store. Assuming they had stock, I would expect to pay far more for just a single lead!

No, times are changing. We have to adapt.

UPDATE 1506z: A single charging lead from the Apple store in Cambridge would have been more than 3 times the price of 3 leads online.

No comments: